A few years back, Tony Hsieh and his crew started doing something I’ve never heard done before. They’ve taken over a city, crumbled and riddled with an unsavory reputation and are building a legacy of change and community through the downtown project.
I had the opportunity to visit and tour downtown Las Vegas this week and was quite impressed.
Here’s what I’ve learned:
- $350 million in the total Downtown project fund
- $50 million allocated to each of the following: tech startups, real-estate, education, and small-business
- 90 employees focused on building and growing downtown Las Vegas
- Motto of “City as an Accelerator”
- 2 coworking spaces
- Zappos new headquarters
- Container park, an urban work/play retail center
- Massive land & building assets>
- Goal to create density of 100 people per square acre (They’re at <20 now)
- Focus on ROC (return on community) over ROI.
Here are a few pics from my journey.
I feel this will be a very special project that we’ll hear a lot about in the coming years. If you’re headed to Vegas anytime soon and would like some intros/tours…please let me know!